Watershed Discovery Zones are nature-themed classroom activities to connect students with a natural learning environment. TVWA will host 4 – one week classes from June 4 – 29, 2018. Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. There will be an orientation and classroom set up the week prior to classes starting, May 28 – June 1.
Topics included in curriculum will be citizen science, which includes habitat assessment, water quality testing, ph balance, turbidity, and other ways to test the health of the watershed, the importance of healthy riparian zones to people and animals alike, and reduce, reuse, recycle curriculum.
Most of these activities will be hosted at the TVWA office. We will occasionally walk down to the golden heart plaza (just across the street) to assess the heath of the streambank. These will be weather dependent.
These are contract positions. The pay is dependent on experience and ranges from $2100 to $2600.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Instructors are responsible for the complete curriculum planning, leadership, and supervision for one group of 10-15 children per week. Groups range in age 8-12 years of age. Instructors develop, organize and implement developmentally appropriate, fun, and educational activities to facilitate children’s exploration and discovery of nature.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work requires climbing up and down uneven rocky terrain. Often carries supplies up to 30 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to handle fish, and minnow traps. Visual acuity to read computerized documents and paper files.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Enrolled in or graduate of college within the field of outdoor education, education, natural science, or related field
- Sincere enjoyment and respect for children and nature
- Experience teaching and/or working with children
- Strong ability to plan ahead and facilitate a week’s activities
- General knowledge of ecological processes, Alaskan flora and fauna, basic outdoor skills, and sound environmental practices
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and the desire and ability to make environmental education a fun, experiential journey of discovery
- Ability to deal effectively and patiently with discipline
- First Aid, CPR, and a valid driver’s license
- Must pass a State background check upon hire
How to Apply:
Please send resume and 3 professional references to TVWatershed@gmail.com
This position is open until filled. We look forward to hearing from you!